Romano Pontifici eligendo
of Pope Paul VI
ABOUT THE VACANCY OF THE APOSTOLIC
AND elect the Roman Pontiff
POWERS OF THE SACRED COLLEGE OF CARDINALS
THE CARDINALS CONGREGATIONS
A FEW TIMES DURING THE VACANT
OF THE SACRED CONGREGATIONS POWERS AND THE COURTS OF THE ROMAN CURIA
THE FUNERALS ROMAN PONTIFF
THE VOTERS ROMAN PONTIFF
THE CAUCUS AND PARTICIPANTS IN THE SAME
MEMBERSHIP IN THE CAUCUS
THE SECRECY ABOUT EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENS IN THE CAUCUS
DEVELOPMENT OF ELECTION
WHAT TO WATCH OR AVOID AT ELECT THE ROMAN PONTIFF
80. We also confirm the requirements of our predecessors, we forbid anyone, even if they are invested with the dignity of Cardinal, treat, while the Pope alive and without consultation, on the election of his successor, promise votes, or making decisions in this regard in private meetings .
81. Similarly, we wish to reaffirm our predecessors as sanctioned in order to exclude any external intervention in the election of the Supreme Pontiff. So, again, in virtue of holy obedience and under pain of excommunication latae sententiae, forbid all and each of the voters, present and future, and the Secretary of the Conclave and all participants therein, receive, under any pretext, from any civil authority, was commissioned to put the veto or the exclusive, even in the form of simple desire, or also be manifest to the whole group gathered together election, whether each of the voters, in writing or word, directly or indirectly, both before and during the conclave. We hope that this prohibition extends to all possible interferences, oppositions and desires, which would interfere with the election of Pope secular authorities of any level or degree, or any kind of people, in groups or individually.
82. The cardinal electors are also to abstain from any form of pact, agreement, promise or other commitment of any kind which could oblige them to give or not to give the vote to one or a few. If this were done, even under oath, decree that is null and void and that no one is obliged to observe and from henceforth impose excommunication latae sententiae offenders. However, we do not intend to prohibit during the Vacant See exchanges of ideas are made about the election.
83. Similarly, forbid the Cardinals do, before the election, capitulations, ie commitments of agreement and agrees to meet them in the event that one of them be elevated to the papacy. And these promises, if they existed, even if they were made under oath, declare them null and void.
84. With the same insistence of our predecessors we strongly urge that the cardinal electors in the election of the Pope, not be swayed by friendship or aversion, or be influenced by favor or respect for anyone or push through the intervention of important people or pressure groups, by the suggestions of social media, by violence, by the fear or the desire for popularity. Rather, considering only the glory of God and the good of the Church, and having prayed for divine assistance, give their vote to the person deemed more appropriate than others to lead a fruitful and useful to the universal Church.
85. During the celebration of the Conclave, the Church is united in a very particular with their pastors and especially the cardinal electors of the Pope and asks God the new chief as a gift of her goodness and providence. In fact, the example of the first Christian community of which he speaks in the Acts of the Apostles (cf. Acts 1: 14), the universal Church, spiritually united with Mary, Mother of Jesus, must "persevering with one mind in prayer "Thus the election of the new Pope will not be an isolated event of God's people and booked the only polling station, but in a certain sense, is an action of the whole Church. Thus, we establish that in all cities and in other places, at least in the most important, having received the news of the Pope's death and after the celebration of the funeral rites, is humble and persevering prayers to Lord, to enlighten the electors and make them so likeminded in their task to obtain a quick, unanimous and fruitful election, as required by the salvation of souls and the good of everyone.
86. As refers to one who is elected, please do not fall outside the office to which it is named, for fear of its weight, but to submit humbly to the design of the divine will. Because God who imposes the burden, it holds your hand, so you can carry it, and to give it a heavy task, also gives aid to fill it, and to give dignity, gives strength, so that not droop under the weight of the craft.
ACCEPTANCE, PROCLAMATION AND CORONATION OF NEW POPE
87. Made canonical election, the last of the cardinal deacons called to the room of the Secretary of the Conclave, the Master of Ceremonies and the charge of the ceremonies. Then the Cardinal Dean or the first of the cardinals in order of seniority, on behalf of the College of electors, chosen consent requests with these words: Do you accept your canonical election as Supreme Pontiff? , upon receipt of the consent asks: How do you want to be called? Then the Master of Pontifical Ceremonies, according to notary and two witnesses by taking charge of the ceremonies, take minutes of the acceptance of the new Pope and took the name.
88. After acceptance, the chosen and received episcopal ordination, is immediately Bishop of the Roman Church, true Pope and Head of the Episcopal College, the same acquires actually can exercise full and supreme power over the universal Church.
89. Meanwhile, met the other formalities in rituum sacrorum Conclavis Ordo , the cardinal electors are close, in the manner prescribed, to tax their homage and obedience to the newly elected Pope. Successively thank God and then the first of the cardinal deacons announces to the people waiting who the new pontiff, who, immediately after, gives the blessing Urbi et Orbi.
90. If, however, the choice is out of the Conclave, must be observed the rules contained in thatrituum sacrorum Conclavis Ordo .
91. Establish that, in terms of canonical effects of spoken in no. 56, the Conclave ends immediately after the election of the Supreme Pontiff and he has given his consent, and, if not a bishop, after his episcopal ordination (cf. 88 and 89). Therefore, we decree that from the outset to have access to elected Pontiff Substitute of the Secretariat of State, the Secretary of the Council for the Public Affairs of the Church, the Prefect of the Papal Household and anyone else who has to deal with the elected Pontiff issues necessary in such moments.
92. Finally, the Pontiff will be crowned by Cardinal Protodeacon and within a suitable space of time, will take possession of the Patriarchal Lateran Basilica, according to the rite prescribed.
Given in Rome, at Saint Peter's, on October 1, 1975, the year of our pontificate XIII.
Historic Pillars of the Republican Party - GOP Foundational Legislation that Encourages & Safeguards U.S. Public Education, Social Justice, Conservation and Fiscal Responsibility. "Imitation is the sincerest form of change and it reaches its political pinnacle when others, especially the opposition, assert your ideas and laws as their own." - Stan Klos Please Visit Republicanism.us